Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Mexican Diet

Hola friends! I have been planning all week to include a little blog about the Mexican diet. Initially, I was going to tell you about the wonderful foods found in this little region of Mexico. Delictable dishes like sopa con avocado, enchiladas, moles, and churros.

However, in the midst of some indepth field research into the Mexican diet, I made a great discovery! Move over Mr. Atkins. Prepare to be displaced, South Beach. Expect to see this on the cover of the next issue of Cosmo: The Mexican Diet!

The details are not for the squimish so I'll skip most of them and just tell you that 2 hours after my last blog entry I started feeling crummy and by 7 p.m. had shivers so extreme that Rena covered me with 3 quilts and laid on top of me for warmth to stop them. By midnight they stopped and she gave me a sleeping pill to knock me out until morning. That didn't work though; about 3 a.m. I woke up with back pain so severe it put me back in touch with what labor feels like. It was a very looooong night and following day but by Wednesday I could keep crackers and flat 7up down and was on the mend.

I was ultimately the lucky one. Charlene, a retired therapist from LA and the third student living in our house, drew the short straw. Tuesday night while Rena was upstairs getting me up on tea and crackers, Maria, our housemother, was frantic because Charlene didn't show up for dinner at 7 pm and hadn't shared plans to be absent, as we are supposed to do. We were getting ready for bed at 10 when Maria ran upstairs yelling for Rena to help her. She found Charlene slumped over and unconscious in the bathroom. They took Charlene to the hospital by ambulance and she was just released this morning (Sunday). It seems that she got something bacterial that nearly dehydrated her in the course of a few short hours. Anyway, I think I know what caused all of this. Both Charlene and I were served the same thing for lunch on Monday that had ham in it while everyone else was given spinach. I don't eat ham, there was no more spinach, and no one would trade so I scraped the ham off mine and ate the remainder. Charlene ate all of the ham infused entree. Can't prove it but I really hate ham more than ever. Ham is evil.

On the bright side, forget those expensive colon cleanse kits and visits to Ashanti yoga spas! I am skinnier than I ever get working out like a fiend or drinking buckets of cabbage soup. Charlene looks like she just walked out of Auschwitz. She would make Angelina Jolie look like a porker if you weighed them both today. It's a tough regimen but there is irrefutable proof that The Mexican Diet delivers!

No comments: