Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What's a Rumspringa?

The idea for a Rumspringa was formed last year when I was visiting my friend Laurel in New York (she's the lively one on the left in the profile photo.) After three solid days of listening to me cry over my coffee, tea, water, and wine, Laurel was convinced that I needed a Rumspringa- and soon. Thinking it might be the Carribbean's answer to the Long Island Iced Tea, I got interested. Well, it turns out a Rumspringa is a lot more involved than a shot of Captain Morgan and a mixer, but I quickly got hooked on the idea just the same.

So, let's get down to it. What's a Rumspringa? The Rumspringa is an Amish tradition in which young people take an extended time of frolick before they settle down to marriage. Strict Amish rules are relaxed. The young are free to explore.

Immediately I knew that Laurel was right. This could be just what I needed to sort out the answer to 'what should I do with the next half of my life?' Never mind that the horses were out of the barn and I was already married. The kids were grown and on their own. The husband was completely self-sufficient. It was time for the Rumspringa! And while I'd like to say that I approached planning my Rumspringa in a methodical and mature way, the actual thoughts that preceeded the decision were more like, "Free to frolick? Having fun! What a concept! Sign me up!"

The next posts will chronical my 5-week mid-life (and I hope I'm not being overly optimistic by saying mid-life) Rumspringa in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Another member of my tribe of malcontents will be coming along for the ride. Rena, already retired from two careers and a Peace Corp veteran, decided she was in need of a little Rumspringa too.

Our plane leaves in just a few hours. Wish I could tell you that I'm fully prepared and fearless but that isn't the case. Over the past 6 weeks I've only mastered about 25 words in Spanish - just the essentials like: yes, no, dog, cat, jump, truck, where is the bathroom, and how much is Immodium AD. Once I arrive I'll be living in the home of strangers as their border while I attend a Spanish immersion school. Who knows what may unfold. Just yesterday I read that there's a region in Mexico where they eat tacos made of LIVE stinkbugs. (That is not a typo. Live! Stinkbugs! Eating is a true adventure for some people, isn't it.)

Well, it's time to roll. Without any more fanfare or delay, let the Rumspringa begin!

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Finally! Somebody has taken my advice! I know you will have many adventures to report and I am excited to hear about every one of them (especially the ones you won't be blogging about). :-) Just don't do anything I wouldn't do ... like, for example, eat a taco full of live bugs.

PeteW said...

Glad you'll be sharing your adventures, Tracy! Looking forward to your postings. Adios for now, amigo.